Saturday, April 4, 2015

My Current Training & Taking it Easy

Last fall I was in the middle of training for my first 50 miler, Cloudland Canyon 50, that I ran earlier this year in January.  My daily runs were scheduled, routine, and intense to make sure that I was ready for my "A" race of 2014 (even though it was in 2015).  After the race I took some time off to recover, and I also had a busy time at work.  So not a whole lot of running was happening.  I started running more regularly in March, and now I am just enjoying the run.

I am loving my training schedule right now! 

Here's a overview of what my current training is like:

  • I still run 3-4 times a week.  I have broken up my running by adding in some weights, finding a new running partner, and even trying out a group run at a local running store.  I also take an additional day off to spend with family, and we have been going hiking, geocaching, and just enjoying being outside together.
  • I run till I see something interesting and take a break.  Since I am not training for anything specific I don't mind taking breaks in my running.  I'll run a trail and when I get to a nice view I just stop.  I spend time enjoying the view, praying, dreaming, and just being able to be out there.  
  • I don't worry about milage, pace, or mile splits.  I still use my Garmin watch to record how far I ran, but I just turn it on and then ignore it till I'm done.  I don't set out on a run to go a certain distance.  I just run, spend time outside, enjoy the surroundings, and then get back to the car.  Whatever milage my watch says I ran is okay with me.  


I know that this will all come to an end as I approach a difficult fall racing season, but for now it's just fun to be on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment