Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Dirty Spokes Harbins Park 13.1 Trail Race

This past weekend I had the opportunity to volunteer at the Harbins Park Half Marathon put on by Dirty Spokes Productions.  Dirty Spokes is a great organization and I have run many of their races before including my very first marathon a couple years ago.

Since I had just run the South Carolina Oconee 50k the weekend before I wasn't sure about trying to race the half, but still wanted to be a part of a great race.  I contacted Tim at Dirty Spokes and told him I would be interested in volunteering, and he was more than happy to have me be a part of the race.  I have been a runner at many races and benefited from the volunteers at aid stations, so this was my opportunity to give back a little to the trail running community that I love so much.

It was a great race, and really enjoyed providing support and encouragement to all the runners.  The weather was cool and there was a nice cloud cover the whole time.  I was at the water station at the 10 mile mark, and the runners did a loop and ran by us again right before the 13 mile mark.

If you haven't had the opportunity to volunteer at a race I would suggest you take the time to give back to your running community by serving at an aid station.  Also, check out Dirty Spokes and run the trails with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment